About the Society
The Furniture History Society was founded in 1996 to promote the appreciation and understanding of Australian and international furniture and to assist in its preservation and documentation.
Members of the Society have the opportunity to discuss all aspects of furniture with other collectors, curators and the antiques trade through its regular newsletter, specialist talks, seminars, panel discussions and visits to private and public collections.
As an important part of our heritage, furniture provides a vital record of social change and a fascinating field for study and research.
Areas of Interest
The Society's areas of interest and study include:
- Characteristics of timbers
- Construction techniques and materials
- Identification of fakes and reproductions
- Australian furniture makers and designers
- 'High' style and regionally produced furniture
- Relationship between architecture and furniture
- Furniture restoration and conservation